Thursday, June 4, 2015

Day 7: Hamburg

The day started as everyday had started in Amsterdam, blustery and blue. But I had gotten used to my little sailing boat and I was sorry to leave it behind. I found out later, that whereas most people leave their hearts in San Francisco, I left my prescription medications in Amsterdam. Just a bit iron, don't you think?

But it was just my weekly portion I left behind and if I space out my heads by a missing a day here & there, it should be no problem.

I left in good time, got on the right train and headed off to Hamburg. My first train ride on this long trip of airplanes, ferries and trains with stops in sailboats, hostels, hotels and homes. 

I was put in a cabin with five other passengers and since it took me a minute or more, to figure out where I was supposed to be sitting, by the time I found the seat, the luggage racks were full. But my cabin was inhabited by a young couple from Australia and an older couple from Sedona California. 

Conversations ensued and lively stories of tips and recommendations for places to visit in Europe. Between the six of us, all of Europe including the Scandinavians would be covered. 

Then the American couple and I transferred at Osnabruek and at least I had some companions for a while. 

I continued on to Hamburg whereas they transferred at some point on their way to Copenhagen. It was a bit of a small world. 

But the highlight was the invitation to stay with a German family for the night. My friend Mariam Kobras(please look her up on Amazon!) the award winning author, opened her heart and home to me. Her family was wonderful and her one cat would walk around saying "hello!" It was so comfortable and cozy. I probably had the best night of sleep I have had yet. Enough so that my dreams returned and for me, that spoke volumes.

I saw the differences and the similarities of my life in the U.S. And their life in Germany and the more I see of the vibe and the people each town I visit, I delight that in fact, we are the same. We all share the same hopes for our families, their safety, their happiness.

And at the end of each day, isn't that the most important thing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment